BE STILL AND KNOW

It is impossible to determine the occasion for which the 46th Psalm was written.  Some commentators believe that it was written after God delivered King Jehoshaphat from a great army of Moabites and Ammonites.  Others believe that it was written during King Hezekiah’s reign when the Assyrians under King Sennacherib besieged Jerusalem.  This we do know: that this Psalm was written to encourage Israel to trust in the LORD Jehovah during difficult and frightening times, and Israel certainly had an abundance of those! 

 

It is said that Psalms 46 gave Martin Luther much comfort and encouragement during the times that he faced fierce opposition to his preaching and ministry.  It was one of the portions of scripture that inspired the words to his hymn A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.   

 

The psalm opens with these words of comfort and encouragement: “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” (Psalm 46:1).  This could be said to be the theme for the entire psalm.  God is not only our hiding place, but our source of power when our strength fails.  He is always with us.  He will never leave us nor forsake us.  Even when it appears like He is “asleep in the boat,” He is still aware of our struggles and ready to speak peace to the storm when our faith grows weak.

 

“Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.  Selah.” (Psalms 46:2, 3).  These verses assure us that no matter how bad things may look, or how violent the storms of life may get, there is no need for us to fear, because the LORD is with us.  Fear can cripple us and make it difficult to hear what God is speaking to us.  It causes us to become anxious and frantic and, therefore, to make bad decisions.  Scripture says, “…God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” (2 Timothy 1:7).  Fear is often the first indicator that we are not trusting in God fully.  This is the time for us to pray and seek the Lord for a Word that will give us clear direction when things appear to be crumbling around us.  Fear is a natural, human response to things that are outside of our control, but the way to combat fear is to trust that God is “a very present help in trouble.” 

 

“There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.  God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.” (Verses 4, 5).  The City of God is an allusion to the General Assembly and Church of the Firstborn, the Body of Christ, and the Bride of Jesus (see Hebrews 12:22).  There is a river that waters and sustains God’s people with its life-giving properties.  Jesus spoke of this river when He said, “He that believeth on Me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.  (But this spake He of the Spirit, which they that believe on Him should receive.” (John 7:38, 39).  As a flowing river brings life and nourishment to the trees and plants that grow beside it, the Holy Spirit brings life and maturity to every soul who believes in Jesus Christ.  Also, we don’t have to fear being moved by circumstances around us, God will help us!  He dwells in the very midst of His children and He will respond quickly to our every need. 

 

The Prophet Ezekiel saw a vision of the heavenly tabernacle in his day, and out of midst of that tabernacle he saw a river flowing out, growing as it went, and giving life and abundance everywhere that it flowed.  St. John also saw this River of Life and said, “…he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.  In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the Tree of Life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.” (Revelations 22:1, 2). 

 

“The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: He uttered His voice, the earth melted.  The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.  Selah.” (Verses 6, 7).  We will face a time of turmoil in some future day.  Indications are that it may not be far off.  Those who do not know Christ will rage against those who do.  Kingdoms will be moved, wars will be fought, and ultimately the earth will melt with fervent heat.  Even so, the Lord of hosts is with us!  God will be our refuge. 

 

“Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations He hath made in the earth.  He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; He breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; He burneth the chariot in the fire.” (Verses 8, 9).  Just as surely as there will be a time when men will beat their plowshares into swords, and their pruning hooks into spears (Joel 3:10), there will come a time when they will do the exact opposite (Micah 4:3).  The point is: whatever is going on around us, we can be sure that the Lord is near and He will shelter us.  God will be our refuge! 

 

Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.  The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.  Selah.” (Verses 10, 11).  The Hebrew word translated “still” also means “to relax, let drop, abandon, refrain, and forsake.”  We need to abandon our anxieties, refrain from our worries, forsake our fears, and learn to relax in God.  We need to learn to drop the control that we think we have over our circumstances!  Only then can we see God for Who He is, and understand what He does and why He does it.

 

Every child of God needs to learn to quiet themselves before God.  It’s easier to pour out all of the things that are on our minds than it is to quietly listen to what our Father has to say to us.  Have you ever tried to get your point across to someone who wouldn’t let you get a word in edgewise, and when you finally did get to speak, you knew that they weren’t hearing you because they were too busy framing their next comment?  That’s how the Lord must sometimes feel about us.  The Apostle Paul tells us that faith comes from hearing - not speaking - and hearing comes from the Word of God.  It’s only when God can reveal Himself to me through His Word that I can see myself in truth and be changed more into His likeness.  Then it is that I relinquish the control of my life to Him and begin to perceive that He is God.

 

As I was praying before church one Sunday morning I became aware of a stinging sensation in my finger.  Looking closely at it, I found that I had driven a wooden splinter into the flesh of my right index finger.  I was amazed at how much it hurt and yet I had not noticed it before that moment.  Thinking back, I realized that I had probably done it days before while working on a project and had been carrying it with me since then without even being aware of it.  As I became quiet before the Lord, however, the presence of this little thorn in my flesh became very evident and commanded my attention.

 

That’s when God spoke to me.  He made me realize that the splinter wasn’t the only hurt that I carried around with me, but was too busy to recognize.  I was carrying frustrations, hurt feelings, stress, disappointments, and a myriad of other wounds, and I wasn’t even aware that I was hurt.  In that quiet time before the Lord, I was able to see these “wounds” in my life that, with the Lord’s help, I could bring to Him to heal.  Tenderly, He removed each "thorn" and restored peace and assurance to me as I relinquished each hurt to Him. 

 

Needless to say, I left that prayer session feeling like a new man.  I also came away with a better understanding of who God is, and of how dependant I am on Him for my spiritual health.  I could see that in my busy life I need to be still before God and listen to what He has to say rather than always presenting MY demands and then missing where my true needs - and His will - really lie.  This is the only way that I can really know Who He is and how He wants to move in my life.

 

In several places in this Psalm it says that “…the God of Jacob is my refuge.”  Not just “God is my refuge,” but “the God of Jacob.”  The distinction is that Jacob is a great example of what this Psalm is all about.  He experienced a great deal of trouble in his life, and it was a slow process for him to learn just Who God was.  It was his struggles that refined him, however, and taught him to patiently wait on the Lord to lead him rather than plunging ahead and expecting God to follow.  In the end, Jacob was a much different man than he was in the beginning.  Like Jacob, we are being refined in the furnace of affliction.  It can be very uncomfortable in there, but when we come out, we will be pure gold. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SIMON OF CYRENE

TRUMPETS, PITCHERS AND SWORDS