MIGHTY MAN OF VALOR

“And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him [Gideon], and said unto him, The LORD is with thee, thou mighty man of valour.  And Gideon said unto him, Oh my Lord, if the LORD be with us, why then is all this befallen us? and where be all His miracles which our fathers told us of, saying, Did not the LORD bring us up from Egypt? but now the LORD hath forsaken us, and delivered us into the hands of the Midianites.  And the LORD looked upon him, and said, Go in this thy might, and thou shalt save Israel from the hand of the Midianites: have not I sent thee?(Judges 6:12-14).

 

After Moses had led the Israelites out of the bondage of Egypt and through the Wilderness of Sinai, God chose Joshua to lead them into the Promised Land.  Joshua and the armies of Israel set about conquering the people of Canaan in fulfillment of God’s promise to Abraham that the land would belong to his descendants some day.  Israel, however, was unable to drive out all of the inhabitants of the land, and God told them that these nations would remain to, “prove Israel, whether they will keep the way of the Lord to walk therein” or not.  People with odd-sounding names like Hivites, Amorites, Perizzites, Jebusites, and Philistines remained, and even dwelt among the Israelites, to test the faithfulness of God’s children.

 

The time of the Judges of Israel was a constant see-saw between the people forgetting God, being oppressed by their neighbors, and the Lord anointing some faithful individual to lead them to deliverance.  One of these individuals was Gideon.

 

Gideon was as unlikely a hero as one can imagine.  He was the youngest son of a very poor family and, therefore, the least esteemed.  Though he trusted the Lord, he needed constant encouragement and signs that God was really talking to him and leading him.

 

An angel was sent from God to Gideon who said to him, “The Lord is with thee, thou mighty man of valour.”  Gideon’s reaction was very logical.  He said, “If the Lord be with us, why then is all this [trouble] befallen us? And where be all His miracles...?” (Judges 6:13a).  You see, the Midianites had defeated Israel and had greatly impoverished them by taking their crops and confiscating their weapons.  Gideon couldn't understand how all of this had come upon them if God were really with them.

 

I have to think of myself as I read this.  As a Christian, I often wonder why there is so much to try me and tempt me in this world.  The Hivites, and Amorites, and others are such a distraction to me, but I know that I must not serve their “gods” or mimic their ways.  These are to prove me and to teach me perseverance and faith.  I hear God saying to me, “I am with you, you mighty man of valor!”  Whether I feel mighty or not, that’s just the way my Father in heaven sees me.  I am strong, not in my might, but in the might of the Lord.  I can do all things through Jesus Who strengthens me.  I can see hope and opportunity in all that befalls me, and, yes, I can even believe in miracles!  This is true of all of God’s children, though.  He sees us perfect in Christ.  The challenge is for us to see it also.

 

God led Gideon, and used him to bring about a great deliverance for Israel and worked miracles through this man who had never even seen one before.  Why should I not believe that God will lead and use me in this day and age when the enemies of godliness are surrounding me on every side and Christians are hungering and thirsting for some true deliverance in their lives, and a reason to trust in a miracle-working God?  And why should you not believe also, thou mighty man/woman of valor?  Even though there are enemies and difficulties all around you, can’t you hear your Savior saying, “Go in this thy might, and thou shalt save Israel…”? (Judges 6:14).  It isn't by our own strength or wisdom that we become useful to God, however.  It's through our weakness that God wishes to demonstrate His power.  God deliberately pared down Gideon's army until it was only 300 men against an enormous army of Midianites.  We must remember that it is God Who fights for His people - numbers mean nothing to Him!  He is looking for heroes today who will, by their words, actions, and faith, lead other believers to greater victory in Christ Jesus.  Why should that not be you or me?  Doesn’t God want to use all of His children?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SIMON OF CYRENE

TRUMPETS, PITCHERS AND SWORDS

BE STILL AND KNOW