GOD CAME TO TEA

"For where two or three are gathered together in My name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20).

So, I woke up one morning with a desire to revitalize my prayer life.  I have never been the greatest conversationalist, I usually am a better listener, and this has translated to my prayer life as well.  I spend a lot of time waiting to hear what the Lord wants to say to me, but not as much time expressing my wishes.  On the surface that may seem like a good thing, a less selfish thing; but not when it comes to praying for others.  I also have a tendency to pray in my heart, and not out loud.  This isn't really an important issue, but I wanted to force myself to talk to God as if He were in the room with me (which He is, of course) rather than someone who is far off whom I was communicating with telepathically.

So I had this thought to invite God to tea.

I got out two porcelain mugs, and chose my favorite one for the Lord (it's my Ohio State mug).  I selected peppermint tea for the occasion (herbal seemed apropos), and I decided on honey to sweeten.  When the tea was ready, I took the two cups to the coffee table, sat down on the sofa, and looked over at the spot where I imagined the Lord would sit, wondering how to begin our conversation. 

It felt odd for me at first, but quickly became as natural as if I were praying in my conventional way, with one exception.  I found that I had to find a way to verbalize each thing that I was praying about rather than assume the Lord knew where I was coming from. Also, the dynamic was much different than praying out loud in a group.  It was so much more intimate - and honest.  I did as much confessing as I did asking (ok, more).  I found that I had less trouble articulating many things that I normally would simply ask the Lord to "bless."

Let me be clear, this is the only time that I have done this.  I'm not turning all Zen on you or anything.  I know there are African tribes who, when they eat, prepare a portion for their deity, and put it up in a tree; but I'm not going pagan either.  I simply wanted to force myself to approach prayer from a different perspective in order to deepen my walk with God.  In fact, I wanted it to feel just like that, walking with God.  I visualized two friends who go out and walk for exercise together.  They talk and share their lives with one another the whole time they are walking.  That's how I want my life and my walk with God to be. 

Yes, this exercise did have the desired effect.  I have found that I feel closer and more "connected" with God.  It not only has helped me to express myself better through prayer, but I also find that I am hearing from God more clearly.  The day after our "tea," the Lord let me see clearly something that I have struggled with for some time and have been confused about.  It has set me on a path that I am hoping will drastically change my life and how I have looked at myself.  I find that, even when I don't pray aloud, it has made my prayer time better.

The disciples came to Jesus at one point and asked Him to teach them to pray.  I think that we are always in a learning state with the Lord.  The more we desire Him, the more He shows us ways to know Him better, and walk more closely with Him.  My lesson was mine alone and may not do a thing for you if you were to try it.  Perhaps my sharing is enough to instill a hunger to seek God in your own way, and discover new things about yourself and your relationship with the Father.  Jesus gave the disciples the Lord's prayer, not to be a cookie cutter prayer that He meant for them to recite every time they wanted to speak to Him.  It was simply a pattern, a listing of the important elements of prayer,  from which they could learn and grow in their own prayer lives.  Prayer is just communicating with our Lord.  Sometimes it's praise; sometimes it's pleading; sometimes it's joyful, or desperate, or happy, or sad.  Like any other conversation with someone you love, it should always be deepening your relationship with that one.

Truly, God is a wonder, and it is His desire above all things that we come to know Him intimately.  It is essential that we learn to do it His way, though, and not try to create God after our own image.  This is the great error of all religions: wanting God to conform to our views rather than allowing our lives to become transformed by His Spirit renewing our minds.  He wants to make us into vessels of honor so that He can then fill us with His glory.

"Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: If any man shall hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me." (Revelations 3:20).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SIMON OF CYRENE

TRUMPETS, PITCHERS AND SWORDS

BE STILL AND KNOW