WHAT'S IN A NAME? - PART 1

When our first child was born, my wife, Terry, and I had not yet been converted to Christianity.  We were both very young, having been married the summer after we graduated from high school.  On the night that Terry went into labor we were still unclear about what we were going to name our new child.  At that time, there were no ultrasound images to reveal the gender of the child, and the fathers were not allowed in the labor or delivery room to support their wives.  So, I was delegated to a waiting room and anxious to hear any news of what was happening with my wife.  As I waited, I picked up a Reader's Digest condensed book that contained the story of Christopher Columbus' life and the discovery of the New World.  When the nurse came to inform me that I was the father of a healthy baby boy, I was overjoyed, and couldn't wait to see my new son and his mama.  While Terry and I were admiring our boy, it suddenly came to me what we should call him: Christopher.  Of course I was influenced by the book I was reading, but the name seemed perfect, and Terry agreed.

About a year and a half after Chris was born, he became very sick and couldn't keep anything in his stomach.  He was running a high fever also, and was becoming dehydrated rapidly.  We had our family doctor check him, and he admitted him into the hospital immediately.  While there, he continued to go downhill; and we became very concerned for him.  An old friend of ours had a sister who he said believed in the power of prayer, and she had seen people healed as a result of her prayers.  Terry called our friend and asked if he would contact his sister for us and have her pray for Chris.  We came very close to losing our son during that period, but we believe it was the prayers that ultimately brought about his recovery.  This episode marked the beginning of our search for Christ, and within a couple of months, Terry and I both had been born again.

At some point, I had looked up the meaning of the name "Christopher," and was surprised to find that it meant "Christ bearer."  Truly, this little boy was the means that God used to bring us to Christ.  The choice of his name never seemed coincidental after that.

Names in the Bible are often very significant.  The most significant names of all, however, are the name of God and that of His Son.  The name "Jesus" in the Greek language (from which our English versions of the New Testament are translated), is the same as the name "Joshua" in the original Hebrew language (which the Old Testament is translated from).  The meaning of these names is therefore the same, which is, "Jehovah is salvation."   "Christ," on the other hand, simply means "anointed," as does "Messiah."  This was a designator added to the Lord's name to separate Him from any other Joshua or Jesus of His day.  Jesus Christ, Jesus the Christ, or Jesus the Messiah, then meant "Jesus the Anointed."   

There is nothing coincidental about Jesus' name.  The meaning of His name reveals the very essence of the gospel.  It speaks to the heart of the Christian faith.  The thought that Jehovah (God) is salvation is foreign to any other religion.  Other religions require their adherents to perform many rituals and works in order to attain salvation.  Christianity rejects all of man's efforts to "measure up," and, instead, substitutes the life of Christ as the means to achieve salvation and righteousness.  It has nothing to do with my even trying to be righteous with God's help, but that God through Christ Jesus wants to be my salvation.  The distinction lies in the trying as opposed to the being.  Trying puts the emphasis on my doing, while being hinges entirely on my believing.  Trying implies some dubious results because it is still based on my performance - maybe I will succeed, and maybe I won't.  If God is my salvation, though, I either believe it, or I don't.  Salvation is, after all, the act of being saved.  If we can manage it ourselves, then a savior is unnecessary.  

Jesus said, "Why callest thou Me good?  There is none good but One, that is, God." (Mark 10:18).  Even He realized that all His goodness issued from His heavenly Father.  He said, "The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do," and "I can of mine own self do nothing."  (John 5:19,30).  His power came from being one with the Father.  Our power comes from being one with Christ.  We are told in Philippians that it is God Who is at work in us giving us the will and the ability or power to do His good pleasure.  (Philippians 2:13).

The idea of God being our salvation is abundant throughout scripture.  Consider these verses:

   "The LORD is my strength and song, and He is become my salvation."  (Exodus  15:2). 

      "He also shall be my salvation."  (Job 13:16). 

      "The LORD is my light and my salvation."  (Psalm 27:1).

      "He only is my rock and my salvation."  (Psalm 62:2). 

      "In God is my salvation and my glory."  (Psalm 62:7).

    "I will praise thee: for Thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation."   (Psalm 118:21). 

   "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; He also is become my salvation." (Isaiah 12:2).

Is it any wonder that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow, and every tongue confess that He is Lord of lords, and King of kings?  The Prophet declared that men would call Him Wonderful, Councilor, Prince of Peace, the Mighty God, and Immanuel (God with us). 

This is part 1 of a two part message.  The second part will examine God's name as revealed to Moses at the burning bush.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SIMON OF CYRENE

TRUMPETS, PITCHERS AND SWORDS

BE STILL AND KNOW