All Things That Ever I Did

The fourth chapter of St. John tells the wonderful story of Jesus' meeting with the Samaritan woman at Jacob's well. Jesus said many things to this woman. He told her that He was a well of water that would spring up into everlasting life, that she should not follow mere traditions, but, instead, worship the Father in spirit and in truth, and that He was indeed the Messiah. Of all the things that He told her, though, one thing impressed her the most, and it was this one thing that she used to convince the others in her city to go out to see Jesus. She told them, "Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?" (John 4:29) The fact that the Lord knew her so well - all the good, and all the bad - and yet still loved her and wanted her to worship Him in spirit and truth. Many of the Samaritans became believers because of her testimony, and many more believed because they heard Him themselves. Jesus ended up spending two days there teaching them.

There is one thing that all of the children of God have in common: they all have a love of the truth. Even when the truth is not convenient, or easy to swallow, they prefer the light over the darkness. Jesus said, "For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God." (John 3:20, 21) Its only when I can see and acknowledge my sins and my short-comings that I can become free. All things are naked and open to God. It's not like I can hide anything from Him. He knows me inside and out. He can discern both my thoughts and my intentions, even when I lie to myself to hide my selfish motives. And I would have it no other way. I want to please God, but this is impossible if I am not willing to be honest with Him and come clean.

Often, we are so blind to our own faults that we just can't see where we have erred; but the more we walk in the light of God's Word and learn His ways, the more He is able to illuminate our pathway so that we can truly see ourselves. There are things that the Lord has revealed to me that have shed light on something that I did years earlier and never realized how wrong it was, or the negative impact that it had on others at the time. I was so blind that I could not see or acknowledge my own fault until God brought me to the point where I could own it. Others times, I have felt a nudge from the Holy Spirit letting me know that I had done something wrong, but I didn't understand what or why until I went to the Word and He would clearly show me. David said of God, "Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom." (Psalm 51:6) It is essential that our heart be pure before God, otherwise, He can't fill us with His wisdom and righteousness.

When the disciples returned from the city where they had gone to buy meat, they were amazed that Jesus had lowed Himself to even talk to the Samaritan woman. The Jews felt that the Samaritans were beneath them, and would have no dealings with them. Jesus, however, saw into this woman's heart, and knew that, despite her faults, she had a hunger for truth. In fact, Jesus saw a great harvest of souls among the Samaritan people - those whom the Jews had ignored and rejected. The Lord only reveals our sins and our faults to us so that He can purge us and make us clean. "Now ye are clean through the Word which I have spoken to you." (John 15:3) Jesus is like a Master Refiner. He applies the heat, and melts the precious metal, so that the dross will float to the top, and He can skim it away. He is wanting to purify to Himself a unique people who will be fit to inhabit His everlasting kingdom.

We have been called to reflect the glory of God to the world. We are the light of the world, we are the salt of the earth. Just as the moon has no light source of its own, but reflects the light of the sun, we have no light of our own, but have been called to reflect the light of the Son of God. That reflected light is so intense that when darkness falls upon the earth at nighttime, the moon is able to lighten the darkness so that men can see. This is our calling: to be a light in the darkness of this world. However, there is a phenomenon that occurs periodically when the earth passes between the sun and the moon and obscures the light of the moon altogether. The lunar eclipse will blot out the moon's light so that it no longer shines on the earth. Likewise, when we let the world come between us and the Son of God, we cease to reflect the light of God to the world.

Let's be the Children of Light, and allow God to cleanse us from all unrighteousness, and purge us from all our sins. He loves us, and wants only what is best for us. He is the One Who can heal our soul, and prepare us for eternity. The heart is very deceitful, but the Lord searches our hearts, and examines all the things that motivate us, so that He can make us whole. "Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?"

"Who can understand his errors? cleanse Thou me from secret faults. Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, O LORD, my Strength, and my Redeemer." (Psalm 19:12, 14)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SIMON OF CYRENE

TRUMPETS, PITCHERS AND SWORDS

BE STILL AND KNOW